Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/husqvarna 326ldx weed eater

Question
QUESTION: Eric, please help solve this mystery. I have an 11 year old Husky 326 LDX weedeater that would start cold, run about 20 minutes, die, then won't restart. It will crank, with or without choke, but it sounds run down/low rpms and won't kick over. I have replaced: carburator, all fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter,spark plug, cleaned muffler and screen, tested for spark (yes), tested for compression (by hand, yes, blew out the holes in gas vet cap with air until clear but did not replace cap (yet). After all this it started and ran great until I ran out of gas, about an hour+, no problems, idled well, had power, rpms sounded right. It ran a little hot so I did a slight adjustment to H mix (to left from 1 o'clock to 12 o'clock) Next day, added fuel, started, ran great for 20 min. although lower rpms and less power. Died, won't restart. I put H back to factory setting, still won't start. Have not made any other adjustments to new carb. Have since tried to start on a few different days, no go, cranks (sounds low and sluggish) but won't turn over. This is the same problem that started all these repairs, so obviously I have not found the problem. Thanks for your time,

ANSWER: You need to check the compression with a compression gauge.  It needs to have at least 90 PSI to run decent...125 psi to run good.

What spark plug are you using?

Eric

QUESTION: I don't have the # in front of me, but it is the OEM replacement, did not check or adjust gap as I was told it would be correct out of the package (and I don't have a feeler gauge anymore). Is there an inexpensive compression gauge I could buy? I don't have access to any testing equipment. How does one test compression? Thanks,

Answer
Autozone may have a compression gauge you can borrow/rent.  To check the compression you screw the end of the compression gauge into the spark plug hole, hold the trigger wide open and pull the string 4 to 5 times until the compression gauge maxes out.  Really easy and takes less than a couple of minutes to check.  Checking the compression it essential to make sure the engine will run.  You can spend many hours trying to fix it but if the compression is too low it will never run.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones