Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere L110 won't start

QUESTION: My L110 doesn't want to start. Some times it'll start right up, no problems. Other time, it cranks and cranks without firing up. I attempt to the following:
1) push throttle to choke position
2) turn key to start
3) engine cranks (sometimes starts)
4) battery gradualy dies (then I jump if necessary)
5) After a few seconds, I smell fuel as if it may be flooded.

I changed the spark plug earlier this spring and it solved the problem, but I'm only used the tactor a few times and the problem is back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Eric

ANSWER: What engine is on the mower?  Is there a fuel shut-off solenoid on the carburtor?

Did you dis-connect the battery terminals and clean the battery ends and cable ends with a wirebrush?  Sometimes a poor ground can cause weird problems like yours which is why you should clean the connections.

QUESTION: I'm pretty sure the engine is a Kohler Command single cylinder 17.5hp.  I'm not sure if it has a fuel shut-off solenoid (FSOS) on the carb or not, but in talking to a mechanic, the FSOS make an audible click when opening upon turning the ignition, if it is functioning.  I do hear this click, so I believe it has one and is functioning properly.  How would I confirm I do have a FSOS?

Battery cables and connections look good.  I didn't remove or clean them.  I'll try this as it is a simple fix.  There isn't any problem with the engine turning over though.  Is this still possibly the problem?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, Eric

If there are wires running to the bottom or side of the carb you have an FSOS.
If the engine is spinning I would check the spark by removing the spark plug and cranking the engine.  You can either insert the spark plug into the spark plug wire and ground the plug tip to metal or use an inline spark tester to check for spark.

Let me know if you have spark.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology