Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/12 hp mastercraft riding mower

My wife caught some sting today and stopped the mower and shut it off. She pulled out the string and when she went to start it to carry on cutting it would not start. I checked all the safety switches, they are ok. Battery is at 12.7V, it does not even try  to crank over. It is a12 hp, model # OHV125. 2030388 Tecumseh engine. I went direct from the battery positive to the starter with booster cables and it did not turn over. Just wondering what I should try now.

Bad battery?  If the starter will not turn by connecting it directly to the battery then either the starter could be bad or the battery could be bad.

Are you sure the cable connections were good when you used the jumper cables.  I would recommend removing the spark plug BEFORE trying to use jumper cables directly to the starter...less current and less sparks.

Are the starter teeth binding on the flywheel causing the starter to jam and not turn the engine?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology