Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/2004 Murray Riding Mower Won't Start

My mower used to start eventually but not any mower. It will turn over once (maybe twice) VERY slowly but never start.

I have taken the starter off and plan to replace it but since I don't really know what I'm doing, I thought I'd also seek expert advice.

Also, I accidently overfilled the oil but caught the mistake fairly quickly and the mower did run after that.

Did you remove the excess oil, aka, drain the overfilled amount of oil from the engine?

Starters do go bad once in  a while but we find more issues with batterys, cables and connections.  Have you charged the battery and had it load tested at your local autoparts store?  They will test the battery for free.

Have you dis-connected the battery and cleaned the battery terminals and battery cable ends with a wirebrush or sandpaper?  I'ved fixed a lot of hard starting problems just by cleaning the connections.

What brand of engine is on the mower?  Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler?

Do you have a volt meter to check the voltage drop across the electrical wires and cables?

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology