Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Engine Problem

I have a Briggs and Stratton 3.5 hp engine model 091202, type 1017E1,code 990504YB on an edger.  I have to use starter fluid to start it.  It runs on 3/4 choke but not smooth.  The engine stops when I turn the choke off.  I have already put in a new diaphragm.

Can you please help.

The problem you described is very common with a dirty carburetor.  This video is simalar to you carb.

You should remove, dis-assemble and clean the carb with compressed air from an air compressor and carb cleaner.  You do NOT need to remove the pick-up tube.  Replace the carb to tank gaskets and the diaphragm as well.  

Re-install and test to see how it runs.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology