Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Gas leaking from trimmer

I was having trouble keeping my Poulan Pro trimmer idling, so I thought maybe the air filter was dirty. I took it off to check and see if the engine would idle without it, and I noticed gas squirting out of the carburetor every time I pulled the start cord.

What could be wrong with it?

Have you rebuilt the carb?  Old carb diaphragms get stiff and brittle no longer operating properly.

Many Poulan products will have a very fine mist of fuel coming from the carbs when running.  They use cheap reed valves, if any at all, which can cause the fuel mist.

How old is the trimmer and what is the model number?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology