Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Murray Riding Mower no reverse

I have a Murray Model #42455x8B that is having hicups when it comes to reverse, sometimes it will go in but getting worse and worse.  Is there an adjustment for this, I hope?  All other shifts are working but sometimes it sticks in neutral but always goes forward, HELP!

ANSWER: Can't find the model number...try Googling Murray 42455x8B.  Are you sure the model number is correct?  It looks correct but can't find any information on the mower.

I suspect the problem is in the transaxle/gear box.  What brand, Peerless or Foote/Dana, gearbox/transaxle do you have?

There will be a manufacturer brand and model number on the transaxles.  It may be on a sticker or a small metal plate.

Let me know.

From what I have found it seems to be a Peerless that Murray uses, I found a video that showed a 5 speed being opened up and changed out to be a 6 speed.  It showed that it looked on the inside.  I tried to see any numbers on mine but I believe I need to take the battery out to do so and it was raining this afternoon so I couldn't verify it, what I do know is that it is a 1998 mower and this is the model number 42544x8B, sorry I must have mistyped it.

The parts list does not state the transaxle model.

Here is the Peerless repair manual link:

Most common problem is bad shift keys and old, hard grease.  If you open the trnasaxle I'd recommend ordering new grease...clean out all the old, or most of it and replace.  It will make it operate smoother.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology