Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Pull Cord Problem

Question
QUESTION: Echo chain saw model CS-306, serial 02008118.  When I pull on the cord, it comes out only 8 to 10 inches.  Sometimes it stops and retracts when I turn it loose.  Other times it retracts without stopping pulling it out of my hand.

Thanks for any help you can give.

ANSWER: Joe
You will need to install a new spring in the pull starter,just to let you know this is a real pain in the neck as you have to have certain tools you may be better off bringing it to a shop as if the spring get loose you will be buying another spring.

QUESTION: I found out after my first question that if I remove the spark plug, the pull cord works like it should. Do you still think it is the spring?
Thanks again.

Answer
sheared
sheared  
Ok you may have a timing problem where it is not firing correctly if you take off the pull starter cover the flywheel key way should be lined up with the engine shaft,if it is you may have a bad ignition module. I have enclosed what a sheared keyway looks like just for your information

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

BEN