Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/pull cord repair

I have a small or might call it mini 2 cycle rototiller from Sears model 316.29264.I  believe it is 31cc. It has a broken cord so I started taking it apart. I got as far as the centrifugal clutch. I cannot get it off. I pulled, pried and lightly tapped it and cannot get it off. This needs to come off in order to get the housing off that has the pull cord wheel. I noticed on the clutch there is a mark that says off with an arrow pointing I believe counterclockwise so I also tried turning it and just turn the motor over. Any idea n how this comes off?

It is threaded on like a nut.  Either use a piston stop tool or use an old string, tie knots in the string and insert in the spark plug hole.  As you turn the engine to unscrew the clutch the piston will the knots and stop the engine from spinning so you can unscrew the clutch.

You will have to tie several knots.  Make sure you leave enough rope hanging out of the spark plug hole so you can remove the knots.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology