Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/self propelled gear box

My mother in law has a 6.75 hp 22" briggs engine, craftsman self propelled mower. The belt got chewed up and I replaced it. I am thinking that is not the problem as it still wont't propel. I kept the cover off and watched the pulley as I pushed in the self propel handle. It would spin and stop, then go really slow and stop.

Is it the gear box?

It could be the gear box.  What is the mower model number?  The model number is located on a sticker, about the size of a business card, and the model number format will be something like xxx.xxxxxxx.

Send me the model info so I can look up your gear box.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology