Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Mower starter rope won't rewind

Question
B&S engine Model 92502 --- Type 3186 --- Code 9002225

Last week everything was working fine on the mower, which is an older mower. It has been to rainy to mow until yesterday. I pulled on the starter rope and the engine began to start, but only for a few seconds, then stopped, and the rope stayed out at full length. I unhooked the plug and reached in under the cover and pushed on the "scereen" to turn the flywheel to wind the rope in. After doing this several times, I left the rope out and removed the bolts holding the cover on. Just as I began to lift the cover, the pulley spun and the rope retracted. I finished removing the cover and held it with one hand while pulling the rope with the other other hand. The rope quickly rewound every time.

I put the cover back on and pulled the rope and you guessed it. It would not rewind. Removed the bolts and again as soon as the cover raised just a tiny bit, zip, the rope rewound.

Is this always caused by a bad spring? With the cover off, I turned the clutch assembly by hand. It turns ok for 3-4 turns, then sticks. I turned it back just a hair and then it turned 3-4 turns again and stuck.

It puzzles me why it was fine last week. It hasn't been used since.

Thanks.

Answer
You need to replace the starter clutch, part number 399671.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9bivJHiLa0

You need to clean the crankshaft with sandpaper before installing the new clutch.  You can try cleaning the old clutch but the cleaning repair usually does not last too long.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones