Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Muffler

Briggs & Stratton model: 287707 type 1257-E1  code 990428ze.  My muffler has blown  (again), beyond welding.  I've tried finding a replacement, but none of the ones related to the above motor are anywhere near what I need.  mine is cylnder shape, exhaust outlet pointing down. attaches to the engine with a piece that comes out and up to the cylnder.

The exhaust could have been made by or ordered by the machine manufacturer, not Briggs and Stratton.

Briggs has an accessory catelog with some mufflers.  Here is the link:

Check to see if page 20 has the muffler you need.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology