Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Murray Model 425620X92B Lawn Tractor

Question
QUESTION: Eric, I have a 2004 Murray LT, 42" cut with 18.5 B&S engine.  It hasn't run for two years.  When last used, it began only moving in reverse.  Hydrostatic automatic transmission.  I am cleaning it up and plan to work on myself to the extent possible.

My first problem is the disconnect rod is stuck and cannot be moved, and the tractor cannot be pushed.  I used a long screwdriver and hammer to tap on the arm that should move back and forth and it only moved about 1/8 inch.  Then I loosened the 3/8" bolt that holds the arm in place, but that didn't free the arm either.

If I take the bolt, washers and arm all the way off can I do anything to improve the situation, or does this sound like a problem inside the transmission?

And what might cause the tractor to only move in reverse.  I've read other answers where the disconnect rod and only having reverse might be related.

I can probably do anything on the outside of that area, but don't know if I'd tackle disassembling the transmission and rebuilding it yet.

Thank you,  Will

ANSWER: There should be a manufacture name/brand as well as a model number on the hydro unit.  Please send me the hydro brand and model number so I can look up which trans you have.

Eric

QUESTION: I was unable to respond right away because of the Maxed Out limitation that was in effect until now.

My transmission is a Peerless 2000-002B Silent Trac
Serial # 2000002B40480410

Answer
Service information can be difficult to find for that Peerless model.

The link below covers pretty much every model but yourhttp://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_System_-_Transmi(691218).pdf

WOW...pretty cheap to just buy a new one:
http://www.smallenginesurplus.com/peerless-2000002b-silent-trac-hydrostatic-tran

I am not familar with the disconnect rod and reverse only problem.  

Can you send a link where you find the information.  I may be able to do some more research.

Checking the parts diagram, the transaxle has a standard Peerless brake assembly on the side.  Make sure the brake is not causing the problem.  It is very common for the brake assemlby dowel pins to seize and prevent you from rolling the mower.  All the brake part should be removed and cleaned.  I use a wirebrush to clean the dowel pins and steelwool, wrapped around a small drill bit, to clean the inside of the dowel pin holes.

I've seen more problems with the brake assembly than the transaxle or pump assembly.

Let me know what you find with the brake assembly.  Sorry for the maxed out questions but I had to set a limit.  At one time I was getting severaly hundred questions a day...not enough time to respond to all of the questions.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones