Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Poulan Pro 1842 STC

QUESTION: My riding tractor doesn't move when I go in higher gear. It just doesn't move. It moves very slowly in lower gear, and has difficulty climbing small slope. The tractor starts vibrating as it crawls slowly.

I changed oil, gas, filters, solenoid, spark plug. No help. It starts without any problem.

I would appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Is the tans belt bad?  Did you check the engine mounting bolts, engine pulley bolt, trans mounting bolt?  Did you adjust the belt and brake per directions in the owner's manual?

QUESTION: My belt is fine, and I cheked all the bolts. I also adjusted brake. I still don't see any progress. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

ANSWER: Do you have Peerless transaxle?  If so, what is the model of the transaxle?

If you do not have a Peerless, what transaxle do you have?

QUESTION: It is Peerless Transaxle 206-545C.

Thank you!

Repair manual link:

The most common parts that fail in the transaxle is the shift keys and input needle bearings.  If you are sure the brake is properly adjusted, the belt, idler and other pulleys are working then it must be in the transaxle.

You have an MST series which starts on page 57 of the repair manual.  READ the first few pages of the manual BEFORE removing the transaxle.  There are several parts that need to be lined up in the housings when re-assembling and the washers have to go in a certain direction.

I have installed a lot of shift keys.  You DO NOT have to seperate all the gears and washers!!!

You will probaably need new keys, new grease, new input shaft o-ring and possibly new input shaft needle bearings.

Have you ever worked on a transaxle?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology