Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Small engine/Electrical

Question
QUESTION: I have a John Deere LX176 and I am not getting any eletrical flow when I turn the ignition key. It was staring fine as we were using it Saturday with many starts then it went dead. I tried to jump it to no succese. As it was hooked up to the cables the battery indicator would dimly light up and go out. I trickle charged the battery for 24 hrs and it started. I cut it off to refuel and once again no electrical flow. I replaced the battery and still no electrical flow. I have removed the ignition switch and cleaned all contacts and still nothing. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: What engine is on the mower?  Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda?

The link below is a good source of information on checking charging systems.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf

Take a look at the link.  Also, do you have a multimeter to do some tests?

Send me the engine info as well so I can see what you have.

Eric

QUESTION: 14 hp Kawasaki and  I do have a multimeter.

Answer
Is th eneigne model FC420V?

If so, Google "FC420V pdf"

Look for www.mymowerparts.com, then  

www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/.../FC290V-FC400V-FC401V-FC420V-FC...‎

The manual is there and the regulator check starts on page 35.  Check the regulator as well as unregulated output.

Let me know what you find.
Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones