Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Walbro #498026 carburator

QUESTION: I have a snapper 28A707 0122-02 riding lawnmower with a walbro 498026 carburetor I cant find a rebuilding kit for this carburetor, I need a nozzle, the brass screw slot broke when I tried to take it out to clean it
How do I get the nozzle out and where do I get a new one.
Is there a replacement for this carburetor
Thanks in advance

PS  I was a engine mechanic in the air force during the viet nam war. 2 tours to southeast asia  went to school in jonesboro arkansas

ANSWER: Carburetor kit: Briggs and Stratton 497481 (Replaces 496622).
Carburetor:  Briggs and Stratton 498027

You can try drilling the old nozzle.  If the slot broke odds are the jet is really stuck.  DO NOT use a fluted style screw will crack the me.

You can try using the tap-in 4 sided screw extractor but you may still crack the carb.

Drilling is the best way may have to clean/recut the threads.  Of course you will need special taps for the carb threads...they are not normal fine or course SAE or metric threads...they are a special thread pitch.

With all that, you may be better off spending the money on a new carb.  If you can get the nozzle out then I would say rebuilt the carb but if you have to have a machine shop remove the nozzle then I would just get a new carb as the labor cost may be $40-50.  Add in a new carb kit, $30-35 and you are close to a new carb price.

Let me know if this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for your help, there was a additional number on the carb,,
LMT 80  would that still be the 497481 carb kit and the 498027 carburetor

According to this link:

LMT 80 Carb replacement number is Briggs and Stratton 498027.

Called Briggs and the customer service confirmed the 497481 carb kit.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology