Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/tecumseh vantage 35 petrol lawnmower

Question
QUESTION: good morning from the UK i have replaced the coil ,plug cleaned the carburetor out reset the coil gap numerous times still only a weak spark & wont fire what the next set of checks? magnets on the flywheel are strong hold a large spanner have taken the flywheel off & the key is fine removed the kill switch swell still a weak spark any advise would be much appreciated i am an soap living on a budget & would like to solve the problem! thanks for your time in anticipation, den.

ANSWER: What is the air gap between the coil and flywheel?

Will the engine start if you remove the air filter and prime with petrol directly into the carburetor?  I use a small bottle with a tapered tip for priming.

Service manual:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_L-Head_E

Let me know if the engine will start by priming.
Eric

QUESTION: hi the gap between the coil & flywheel is the thickness of a business  card i think about 13-15 thou tried priming yesterday still no joy! should i take the hole body off& prime it as i only poured it down the top of the  body! thanks

Answer
Coil gap should be fine.  You should not need to remove the whole carb body for priming, just the air filter cover and air filter.

If you can not keep the engine running by priming then there is another problem besides the carb.

Are the head bolts at the proper torque?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones