Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda GXV160cc OHC engine

Question
Dear Eric

I have a Honda GXV 160 cc OHC engine on a chassis which has rusted out. Will the Honda motor fit on a chassis suitable for a B&S motor? I live in Thailand where the chassis was made but the material was sub-standard. I will be visiting Australia in December and will get a second-hand chassis from a B&S setup if the engines are interchangeable

Many thanks

Colin Rose - Thailand

Answer
Most are interchangable with respect to the engine mounting bolt holes.  The lenght of the crankshaft output is usually the most important spec because if the shaft it too long the blade will be below the mower deck.  Too short can be more easily corrected as they sell special blade adapters.

If you buy a good brand used chasis odds are it will work as most of the better chasis use common specs for the engine/crankshaft.  This way mower manufactures can offer different engine brands on various chasis.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones