Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Information about my engine

Question
QUESTION: I have a Craftsman cast iron extra long life engine equipped with a timken bearing I would like to know what horsepower it is and if there are links to any manuals for my engine, Model# 146640012 serial#3166E

ANSWER: Can you double check the model number?  I tried looking up the model number but the Sears site could not find that number.

If you know the model number is correct then attach a picture so I can see if I can identify the engine.

Eric

QUESTION: I've double checked, the number is kind of faded but looking at it now in brighter light it looks like either a 3 or an 8, ill try and upload a picture

ANSWER: If it is cast iron it might be pretty old.  Did you doulble check the 146.xxxxxx number?  This is the important number.

Eric

QUESTION: yeah I did double check that it's either 143640012 or 148640012 but im almost positive its the first one, im sorry this is such a hassle

Answer
The 143640012 number came up as a Tecumseh carburetor. 143 sounds right.

Check out page 72 of this link:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_Cast-Iro

Page 1 says it is an overhead valve 16 HP engine.  Is you engine an overhead valve model?

YIf so, you should have a Tecumseh OH160 engine.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones