Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/old briggs motor

QUESTION: i have successfully rebuilt the carb for an old briggs motor on a mtd tradesman riding mower, attempted adjusting the governor but still have no throttle control. only full throttle. after closely looking over the entire carb to gov shaft assembly it seems there is something missing. possibly in the linkage. i have been unable to find any specific exploded parts diagram for the entire linkage assembly. is there anything, links, manuals or diagrams you know of that will help?

ANSWER: What is the engine, model, and type code?  I need this information to see what engine and governor system you have.
This link should help to locate you engine information:

QUESTION: sorry about that. dont know what year it is. briggs & stratton in a mtd tradesman riding mower. model #422707 type 1214-01. the best i found is but the exploded parts view is not clear enough to show if parts are missing. when i move the throttle lever nothing really happens except barely moving the gov shaft at low throttle. no movement in the carb at all. thank you for your time. tom

Is something binding?  One of the linkages?  Can you move the carburetor butterfly shaft by hand?

Did you check out this link:

Did you download the service manual?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology