Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/old briggs motor

Question
QUESTION: i have successfully rebuilt the carb for an old briggs motor on a mtd tradesman riding mower, attempted adjusting the governor but still have no throttle control. only full throttle. after closely looking over the entire carb to gov shaft assembly it seems there is something missing. possibly in the linkage. i have been unable to find any specific exploded parts diagram for the entire linkage assembly. is there anything, links, manuals or diagrams you know of that will help?

ANSWER: What is the engine, model, and type code?  I need this information to see what engine and governor system you have.
This link should help to locate you engine information:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/how-do-i-identify-a-briggs-a

Eric

QUESTION: sorry about that. dont know what year it is. briggs & stratton in a mtd tradesman riding mower. model #422707 type 1214-01. the best i found is partstree.com but the exploded parts view is not clear enough to show if parts are missing. when i move the throttle lever nothing really happens except barely moving the gov shaft at low throttle. no movement in the carb at all. thank you for your time. tom

Answer
Is something binding?  One of the linkages?  Can you move the carburetor butterfly shaft by hand?

Did you check out this link:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/adjusting-the-governor

Did you download the service manual?
http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/271172%20Twin%20Cyli

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones