Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/engine wont start when cold

I have gravely 260 with fh721v 25hp im have problems with it staring when cold I have to put a jump box on it so it will turn faster and most of the time it will start  it have brand new battery on it it still wont startiI check the carb that looks good I did a compression test 90 80 is that ok the motor has 2000 hours on it but it runs great when it starts. Im hoping u can give me some hints thank bret

Download the service manual at the URL below:

Compression min is 57 so you have good compression.

The problem you described can be difficult to fix.  Do you have a voltmeter and know how to measure voltage drop as well as what voltage drop tells you?

Did you dis-connect and clean the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush?  I've fixed a lot of hard starting problems just by cleaning the connections.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology