Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/FD620D AS17 KAw engine trouble

Question
QUESTION: replaced head gaskets, repaired head and block surface, thermo side cylinder, due to corrosion.  back together, coolant leaky from head, does not appear to be going inside cylinder, dry,   breather tube inside airfilter is blowing water/ white film. Is that possible?

ANSWER: How did you repair the head and block?  Have you performed a compression leakdown test to see if the head is leaking?  Do you have a vaccum gauge to see if the engine is maintaining a little negative pressure (vaccum)?

Did you download the service manual?

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Have you performed a cooling system pressure test?

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: I had the corroded areas, repaired by a aluminum welds and milled to even the surface on the head. The other smaller corroded areas on the block I used the steel weld epoxy to replace the gaps.  Smooth it with emory paper.

I dont know what a comp leak down test is but I did put a compression gauge in place on each cylinder, did not reach 170psi, advanced the engine by rotating the fan.

I was following the service manual, throughout the process.  The coolant is leaking from the outside surface between the head and the block, just next to the exhaust manifold.

I did not try a cooling system pressure test.

After I rebuilt the engine, re-filled the oil and coolant, I started the engine without issue, it took a 1-2 minutes before the coolant started leaking out.  After a few minutes the temp light went on, that when I turned it off.

SteveG

Answer
With all that work being done you really need to do a cylinder leakdown test and a cooling system pressure test to determine where the leak is coming from.  I've had similar issues with larger water cooled engines in the past and it required the special tools to perform the pressure tests.  FYSA, I've seen machine shops miss cracks in cylinder heads.

The URL below is a decent article on cylinder leakdown testing.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones