Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Kohler model CV724-69551 Backfires

Question
QUESTION: This engine is in Craftsman tractor.  Starting the tractor now when it is really cold is hard on the engine.  In order to start I set the throttle half way through and open the choke.  When the engine starts I "play" with the choke to keep it running and after a minute or so I open the throttle to increase the RPM.  When I do this the engine starts to backfire, about once every 5-10 seconds.

I changed the spark plugs, air filer, fuel filter and filled the tank with fresh gas.  I think it helped a bit as the backfires are a bit less frequent and not as loud.  However they are still there.

What would you suggest to check/do next?

It seems like cleaning the carburetor is another thing to do but since I have never done this before I am not sure if I should try to do it myself.

Thank you.

ANSWER: As you mentioned I would start with cleaning the carburetor.  You can download the service manual from Kohler's website.

Copy/paste the URL below and you will see a link to the service manual:

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engines-parts/manuals/free-

Do you have an air compressor and a digital camera?

DO NOT adjust anything until you review the manaul!  Carb removal is pretty straight forward and no need to mess with any GOVERNOR parts...the control links can be dis-connected by manuevering the carburetor once it is loose.

Let me know about the air compressor and camera.

Eric

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply and the pointer to the service manual.  I have a digital camera but I do not have an air compressor.

Also, a local small engine mechanic whom I called recommended using high octane gasoline and adding Star-Tron fuel treatment to it.  I guess this would be, perhaps not so good but still, one way to clean the carburetor and more.

ANSWER: It probably will not hurt to use the better fuel and fuel treatment...it may help it run better.

To really clean the carb you need an air compressor, even a small one, $40 at Harbor Freight if you catch a small one on sale.  Of course you have to buy a hose and the blow gun accessory so you can easily get to $60 pretty quick.

You could always remove the carb and take it to a local shop for cleaning/rebuilding but there is no guarantee it will fix the problem as you might have a fuel pump issue or something in the fuel tank, moisture, fine dirt or something else.

I doubt the fuel pump is the issue but you never know until you test it.  You need a vaccum pump/gauge to really check the fuel pump.

Try the fuel and additive and see if it helps.
Eric

QUESTION: Hello Eric,

Thank you again for your reply. I will try the additive first and if this does not work I will try to clean the carburetor one way or another.

Thank you,
Peter

Answer
FYI, I use fuel stabilizer year round in all my power equipment.  It works well but it's not a cure all.  Carbs today are designed for low emissions and this leads to very sensitive carbs.  Last time I used my Snapper it was not running well so after about 2 years of using it I'll have to take the carb off this spring and give it a good cleaning.

Let me know how the additive works.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones