Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/snapper z2205kv hydro gear

QUESTION: My snapper z2205kv zero turn has very little pulling power when it first starts. After about 5 minutes it takes off and runs fine.I've changed fluid and filter and purged system.I've also noticed a white  sludge build up in reservoir.I have cleaned tank but it comes back after running. Is the reservoir suppose to be air tight or vented? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

ANSWER: Reservoir should be vented.  Sounds like moisture is in the system.

What part of the country do you live in?

How old is the mower?

What fluid are you using?

QUESTION: I live in eastern N.C.. Mower is around 15 yrs old. The fluid i'm using is penzoil 20w50 motor oil. local repair shop told me that exmark premium hydro oil is the same thing as the 20w 50 . Is that correct? I've noticed if I unhook pumps from joystick and engage 1 at a time they have plenty of pressure but with both pumps hooked up i get a lot of moaning and poor pulling power. Acts as though their isn't enough oil getting to pumps.Also how do you eliminate moisture in system?
thanks for all the help

Agree, sounds like it is not getting enough pressure.

As far as getting the moisture out, this can be really difficult sometime.  I live in a dry climate (CO) but we had a log splitter last year that we could not get the moisture out by flushing the system.  Eventually we removed cylinder and pump and had them rebuilt.

While it was in pieces we dried the lines with air and rags.  Put is back together and worked find but still showed signs of moisture in the oil.  

Have you asked you local repair shop if they have any tricks to getting moisture out of older systems?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology