Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Ariens snowblower

starter cup
starter cup  

I have an Ariens ST724 7hp snowblower (model:924075 serial:005629) that needs to have the starter cup, recoil, and the 4 bolts that secure the recoil replaced. The problem is all of these parts are NOT listed on any of the parts diagrams I have seen online so far. Do I need the engine number to order these parts? And if so, where is the engine number? I've looked and can't find it because of all the rust on my snowblower.

You engine is probably a Tecumseh H70-130067

Model number locaation:

Link to the starter parts diagram:

Complete starter part number Tecumseh 590420A

Google the part number and check for prices and images.

Is the starter cup dimples wore out?  Most of the time the starter cups do not need to be replaced.  If you need to replace it an impact gun is the best tool.  If you do not have an impact gun you can hole the pulley on the opposite side of the engine and then use a large socket/ratchet to remove the flywheel nut.  You will need a big set of pliers to hold the pulley on the opposite side of the flywheel.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology