Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere 3 gas edger

I recently acquires a John Deere 3 gas edger.  It is estimated to be about 30 years old.  After some tinkering, I got it started using some starter fluid as the air filter was shot.  I can't figure out how you change the oil or check it's level and I have not been able to find a parts manual.  this machine is definitely worth saving and I am also wondering if anyone knows where I can download a free manual.  I just ordered some air filter foam from Amazon.  I think the pull cord housing is also going have to be replaced and was wondering where I would get this part.

Do you have a Briggs and Stratton engine?

See if this is your engine service manual:

If you have a Briggs engine the pull cord housing is not a common replacement part...they are repaired.  If you have the Briggs the starter clutches are the most common reason the starter stops working.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology