Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere 3 gas edger

Question
I recently acquires a John Deere 3 gas edger.  It is estimated to be about 30 years old.  After some tinkering, I got it started using some starter fluid as the air filter was shot.  I can't figure out how you change the oil or check it's level and I have not been able to find a parts manual.  this machine is definitely worth saving and I am also wondering if anyone knows where I can download a free manual.  I just ordered some air filter foam from Amazon.  I think the pull cord housing is also going have to be replaced and was wondering where I would get this part.
Don

Answer
Do you have a Briggs and Stratton engine?

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/how-do-i-identify-a-briggs-a

See if this is your engine service manual:

http://evanosaurus.com/ebooks/270962%20Single%20Cylinder%20L-Head%20BRIGGS%20&%2

If you have a Briggs engine the pull cord housing is not a common replacement part...they are repaired.  If you have the Briggs the starter clutches are the most common reason the starter stops working.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones