Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Troy-Bilt Squall 2100 Snow Blower

QUESTION: 5 years old.  Started up the other day before a winter storm.  Unit started and ran great for about 20 seconds or so.  Then, the engine began to run very rough and smoke profusely.  I shut off and let it sit for a while.  Restarted and it did the same thing.  
While looking at it today, I removed the hose from it's connection point at the valve cover.  Started the engine and it ran fine.  After about 20 seconds, oil (I assume it was oil) began to spew from the hose fitting on the valve cover creating a mess underneath the unit.  But, this time the engine continued to run fine with no smoke.  What is going on?  Thanks

ANSWER: Is there gas in the oil?  Is the oil level too high?  Is the oil thin and running?  Does the oil smell like gasoline?

Was was the last time the engine oil was changed?

Is you model number Troy-Bilt 31AS2T5F711?

Do you have the MTD 270-JU Engine (Zong) engine?

Let me know about the oil.

QUESTION: I put a container under the valve cover and caught some of the oil.  It did smell somewhat like gas.  The crankcase was not overfilled.  It probably has been 2 - 3 years since I last changed the oil (haven't had to use the unit a lot except for last winter)  the oil that came out was pretty thin.

No, the model is 31AM2P5B711 (2009)
Engine is a Troy-bilt 752Z270-SU208cc

Thanks for your help and the quick response.

ANSWER: The most common problem we have is gas leaks past the carburetor and into the engine crankcase thinning the oil.  The leak is due to a dirty or old inlet needle seat coupled with little use.

I would start by changing the oil and re-filling with new oil.

Do you have a valve on the fuel tank or carb to turn off the fuel when you are not using the blower?

QUESTION: No, there's no fuel shutoff @ the fuel tank or carb.

I will change the oil

Thanks again

The next time you add fuel to the fuel tank pay attention to the level in the fuel tank.  If the fuel level is much lower the next time you use the blower then the carb maybe leaking.  A pressure test using a small pressure tester will tell you for sure if the carb is leaking or not.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology