Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda HS55 snowblower

QUESTION: I have an older Honda HS55 snowblower that starts good, runs great, but shuts down after the motor runs for more than 10 minutes. I just cleaned the carb and the govenor linkage seems to move freely. Any suggestions before I put it back together?

ANSWER: Get a brand new spark plug.  What are the valve clearances?

Did you blow compressed air from an air compressor through all the carburetor orifices?

QUESTION: Plugs new, yes I blew out all the carb orifices and I'll check and reset the valves.  Why would it only loose power after the motor gets warmed up. Is there anything in the governor internals that could be binding when hot?

Not too likely anything with the governor would cause your issue.  

I would look at the valves and just for good measure I would check the head bolt torque.  Not very common for Honda head bolts to loosen but I have seen them loosen on Tecumeh engines and cause weird problems like you described.

Are there any plastic insulators between the engine block and carb?  I have seen these warp and cause leaks when the engine warms up.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology