Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/minimac35

QUESTION: I have a MiniMac 35 which would not fire.  Roudly discovered, after absolutely completely disassembling entire machine, that it has points. That's ok, thought about changing to electronic but couldn't figure where electronic would go in the tightly compacted confines of the machine's housing.  My question (should I ever be able to reassemble chainsaw, which is very doubtful): What is the point's setting? I guarantee that I will let you know should this labor of interest be successful.  Thanks, Michael
ps, that anti spam thing is a killer, must reenter multiples of times.

ANSWER: Set at .018 of an inch...specs says .020 but I've had some that would not run on high speed at that gap...0.018 works well on older saws.

FYSA, that is one of the most difficult saws to fix because, as you know, you have to dis-assemble the whole saw to get to anything.  

Is the carb in good shape?  Often times those old carb diaphragms and gaskets are stiff and brittle and the saw won't run.

QUESTION: Eric, am not sure you received my response to your answer to question above (I hit "clear") response disappeared.  I really appreciate your advice. I did check carb, diaphragms are flexible, cleaned ports, seems ok. Again, should I am able to reassemble machine, doubtful, at least points will be at proper setting.  Thanks again, Michael

When re-assembling make sure you do not pinch the fuel line...I've done this in the past.

You can also search You Tube for McCulloch repair videos. That saw was labeled as many different models.  If a saw in a video looks similar to yours it is the similar enough that the repair procedures are the same.

Decent video:

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology