Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/White Outdoor snow blower, removing spirals, (spiral pins?)

I have a ~2000 White snowblower, model, White Outdoor 31AE5E3F190 Snow Boss 950W (1999).

The left spiral gear rubs against the housing.  I suspect that the outer bearing is trashed and is allowing it to move about.  The shaft goes into the impeller with two spiral pins.  If I manage to knock these back out (it appears that I should push them out to the right when horizontal so that the longer end protruding moves out first) will the shaft that drives the spirals simply pull out?  Itís difficult to see looking at the schematics:

Model 31AE5E3F190, Serial Number: 1J068B70370 in case links are not allowed, I found schematics at partstree com

It seems like an easy fix (if I can get the assembly out)  since the gear is not broken and the right spiral is tight, but the left wiggles around by about 1/8Ē inch.  I canít imagine anything other than a damaged bearing and the bearing is available for ~$25.

Suggestions?  I have tried to tap out the spiral pins but itís been no go yet. Iíll try heat and pound but only if the shaft, once the pins are out is likely to pull out.  Itíd be a very expensive fix should I have someone else do it at $60/hour.  Since I only have a part-time job, Iíve got the time on my hands.

To get the augers out of the bucket you have to remove the gear box and input shaft.

It's not a hard job, but very time consuming to dis-assemble the bucket assembly.

Search You Tube for "snowblower auger removal".  Basic dis-assembly is the similar for all snowblowers.

FYSA, there is right and left side auger so MARK them before you dis-assemble.  DON'T damage the threads on any of the shafts.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology