Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/8 hp Grand Prix Tecumseh

QUESTION: Follow up to orig.question.Can't get any throttle speed without "barking" thru muffler and stalling.Did carb but I thought it ran better but it really isn't.Seems to idle reasonable but need more speed to throw snow.Am I looking at internal problems?Thanks,Terry Price.

ANSWER: Did you download the service manual and check the carburetor linkage connections to see if they are correct?

I need the engine model and spec number to give a better answer but I doubt there is any internal damage unless you have messed with the governor.

Let me know the engine model and spec numbers.

QUESTION: I downloaded manual and as far as I can tell linkage seems ok .Info that I could get off motor is HM80-155132H, and then I think it was Serial number but could not read it.When you say messed with governor, do you mean other than the adjustable arm?I ask this because before I contacted you I watched a video about adjusting the arm, but changing position of it did not change anything.I know it can't be easy trying to determine what is wrong when you don't have the machine in front of you, but I do appreciate any help that you are able to give.Thanks,Terry Price

Manual URL:

Per page 27 of the engine repair manual:

With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the governor clamp on the governor lever. Rotate the clamp in a direction that will force the throttle shaft open and allow the governor follower arm to rest on the governor spool. Push the governor lever connected to the throttle
to the wide open throttle position. Hold the lever and clamp in this position while tightening the screw (diag.7).

Does your governor arm look similar to the one is this video?

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology