Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/john deere snowblower

Question
QUESTION: hello I have a john deere 826 snowblower that will not stay running when I engage the auger...it spits and sputters and finally dies...I think its a dead man switch but I have never messed with them...help

ANSWER: If it were a safety (dead man) switch the snowblower would shut-off quickly...not spit and sputter.

It sounds like you have a dirty carburetor...most likely the high speed circuit.  

Does the SB start easy, idle and run with out the auger being engaged?  Does the SB continue to run if you try to just drive the machine, no auger?

Do you have an air compressor?

Let me know.
Eric

QUESTION: Yes runs fine but like I said it only does it when I start to engage the auger......any ideas?

Answer
Is something stuck or binding in the auger assembly?

An easy tip to verify if it is a safety switch problem is to remove the engine shroud, the sheet metal that contains the pull starter, to access the ignition module.  With the cover removed you can see the ignition module and just dis-connect the small wire connected to the ignition model.  This will dis-connect any and all of the safety switches but you will not be able to shut off the engine with the on/off switch.  Just use a pair of insulated pliers and dis-connect the spark plug wire to shut off the engine.  This will tell you for sure if you have a safety switch problem.

You can actually dis-connect or isolate the ignition module without removing any parts.  You just have to find where the engine shut-off wire is connected to the engine.  Usually this is near the carburetor throttle and the on/off switch.  Just dis-connect the wire that is connects to the ignition module...the wire entering the engine shroud.  You can verify you have the ignition system isolated by trying to shut off the snow blower...if the on/off switch will not shut off the engine then you know the ignition module is isolated.  Just keep the insulated (rubber handle) pliers handy.

Let me know if SB will run with the auger engaged with the ignition module dis-connected.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones