Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/New mower advice

Question
QUESTION: Hey Zach. I am looking to purchase a new riding mower. I have a small yard with about a third to a half an acre of grass to mow. I would like a mower that would be reliable, easy to work on, and have parts that are easily available. Longevity would be a big plus also. Do you have any ideas or models to recommend to me?

ANSWER: When purchasing a new riding mower there are lots of things to consider, the deck size, if it is going to be used as a tractor for other uses or just strictly lawn. Troy-Built has a nice rear engine rider that has a 30 inch deck. That mower would work great for what you would be mowing. Through the years of mowing I realized that Cub Cadets do not hold up that well and I try to stay away from them, but as long as you do your maintenance they should be fine.

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply Zach! A rear engine rider would probably work fine in my yard. Just want to use it to cut grass. Would a new Snapper be a choice also. Would the Troy Bilt be the better value?

Answer
A Snapper would be a better mower but of coarse the price would be higher. I just looked at a Snapper Rear Engine Rider and that price starts at $1299.99 while the Troy-Built starts at $999.99. They both have a Briggs and Stratton engine which is good. As long as you take care of them they will last you a good while. When it comes to money I would buy the Troy-Built, but the Snapper is a good mower also. For the money the Troy-Built would be the better one, it seems that the Snapper is a little to high priced for such a small mower.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Zach Krouse