Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snow Champ Tecumseh 5/24 engine smoking, no start

Question
I've got a Snow Champ 5/24 Snow thrower with a Tecumseh 5hp engine. The primer hose broke and I couldn't get it started. I had it sitting outside in -10 degree F temps for a couple days. Now it's back in the garage, got the primer line fixed. I pumped the primer a couple times and pulled the starter cord.  It popped right off but immediately died. Pumped the primer a couple more times, pulled the cord and it just pumped the white smoke out the exhaust and now out of the side of the head 90 degrees clockwise from the carb.  Is it possible that I just blew the head gasket by trying to start a cold soaked engine with a lot of fuel? Any idea where Tecumseh hides a data plate so I know exactly what engine this is to buy parts for it?

Answer
I would start by checking the head bolt torque.  Do you have the Tecumseh engine service manaul?  You can find it online for free.

I would check the eninge oil level and see if the level is correct or too full.  Also check to see if the oil is runny and smells like gasoline.  Tecumseh has a tendancy to leak gas past the carb and into the engine oil making the oil thin and runny...it gets by the rings and the engine blows white smoke.

Check the oil level and verify the head bolt torque.  Let me know what you find.
Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones