Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snow Champ Tecumseh 5/24 engine smoking, no start

I've got a Snow Champ 5/24 Snow thrower with a Tecumseh 5hp engine. The primer hose broke and I couldn't get it started. I had it sitting outside in -10 degree F temps for a couple days. Now it's back in the garage, got the primer line fixed. I pumped the primer a couple times and pulled the starter cord.  It popped right off but immediately died. Pumped the primer a couple more times, pulled the cord and it just pumped the white smoke out the exhaust and now out of the side of the head 90 degrees clockwise from the carb.  Is it possible that I just blew the head gasket by trying to start a cold soaked engine with a lot of fuel? Any idea where Tecumseh hides a data plate so I know exactly what engine this is to buy parts for it?

I would start by checking the head bolt torque.  Do you have the Tecumseh engine service manaul?  You can find it online for free.

I would check the eninge oil level and see if the level is correct or too full.  Also check to see if the oil is runny and smells like gasoline.  Tecumseh has a tendancy to leak gas past the carb and into the engine oil making the oil thin and gets by the rings and the engine blows white smoke.

Check the oil level and verify the head bolt torque.  Let me know what you find.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology