Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/B & S Carb # 498298

Question
My Craftsman front tine tiller (917.292403) will only keep running when the manual choke is partially engaged.  I suspect the carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. Is there a rebuild video for this carb available somewhere?  I have searched YouTube with no success. Perhaps there is a B & S manual something like Tecumseh has available?  Can't find that either.  Can you help? I need to get this going before the spring planting season.

Bill

Answer
Sears for "briggs and Stratton 5hp carburetor cleaning" on You Tube.  Lots of videos as this is one of Briggs' most popular engines.  The control rods/linkages can be a little challenging.  I find it easier to just remove the engine shroud, the part with the starer rope, as this will give you a lot more room to access the linkages.

I would go ahead and buy a diaphragm and a couple, that's right, 2 carb to tank mounting gaskets...you will most likely need them.  Some of the 5 hp Briggs use 2 gaskets for the carb/tank mounting.  Pay attention to see if you engine uses 2 gaskets or one thick gasket.

Do you have an air compressor to blow through the carb orifices?

Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones