Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John deere 265 Kawasaki fc540v

QUESTION: This tractor sat outside for years but all the attachments were garage kept so I bought it for $300. Cleaned the fuel tank replaced all the fuel line, all filters and fluids. Pulled the carb and cleaned it up. Tractor starts right up. However it cuts In and out, as if it's not getting fuel. Then I pulled the wire off of the fuel solenoid and it runs great. Why would this be? And can the fuel solenoid continue to run with this wire not connected? Is that a ground wire?

ANSWER: It is probably a 12 volt DC positive wire.  I would check the power on the fuel solenoid.  You can check the solenoid using a 9 volt battery.

Did you dis-connect and clean the battery cable ends and battery terminals with a wirebrush?  I've had some riders in the past with a poor ground which caused the solenoid not to work.  A few manufacturers, years ago, had issues with poor grounds.  A service bulletin was published telling technicians to make a small ground wire and connect to the carburetor air filter housing screw and the other end to the metal engine block.  I installed a few of these "extra" grounds and it fixed the problem.

Check first for 12 volts DC on the solenoid wire and then make sure all your ground connections are clean.

Let me know what you find.

QUESTION: I wire brushed the terminals, also made sure all the ground wires were good and tight. I do have a ground on the carburetor.  I checked the 12 volt wire and my meter read 11 volts so that seemed to be good. Next I got a 9 volt battery and tested the solenoid and the plunger did nothing so this must be my problem.  When I started it in turtle mode it ran fine but when I throttled up to rabbit with the faulty solenoid it states to cut in and out. Why?

Thanks for your quick response

The fuel solenoid is supposed to stop fuel flow when the key switch is turned to the off position.  This is suppose to prevent backfires.

Normally when a fuel solenoid fails the mower will not run at all as the solenoid plunger is extended and inserted into the main fuel nozzle.

I'd pull the solenoid off and bench test with the 9 volt battery.  Just use a couple of test leads/wire.  Make sure the positive of the 9 volt battery is connected to the wire on the solenoid and then just use a test lead and connect/touch the metal solenoid case with the negative should hear the solenoid click and might see it move.

Let me know if you hear a click when you "bench" test the solenoid.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology