Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/RIDING MOWER

Hello, I have a craftsman riding mower that runs fine but when i let out the clutch or pull on the mower button it kills the engine
like it shorts out the magneto wiring.  Thanks  Don
the model  is 9172736403

Copy and past the URL below to find your manual:

You can find the manual on Sears website...just Google you model number and it should find the website for you...then just click and download the manual.

Based on the schematic in your manual, you have 2 safety switches:  Clutch and Seat.

The seat is really easy to test...just use a multimeter and check to see of the switch opens and closes.  There will me little to no resistance when the switch is closed...same as saying the switch will have continuity. With the switch open you should not have continuity.
Refer to this video:

or this one

Keep in mind you could have a broken wire or a dirty connection...have had both issues over the years.  Let me know if you find a bad switch.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology