Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/18hp troybilt mower

my mower started smoking out the exhaust and from an oil leak in the front of the engine. It smokes very badly out exhaust when riding on a slant toward the carb and not at all when slanted away from carb. Seems to be a breather hose problem with to much oil venting into the breather tube that connects on to the carb. What is the problem and how do I fix it. Spark plug was filed also. Thanks

Does the oil smell like gasoline?  Is the oil thin and runny? When was the last time the oil was changed?

What engine is on the more?  Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki, Robin?
What is the engine model, type/spec and code/serial number?

Let me know the engine information so I can look up your engine.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology