Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/B&S repair question

I have an older Yard Man self-propelled walk behind mower with a Briggs engine in very good condition.  The gas tank has cracked, which I will replace.  It is impossible to start.  I was told that instead of trying to rebuild the carb, I should just replace it. Which is the better option?  A new carb will be expensive, so I would be looking at putting about $100 into this mower. I also have seen that there are two carbs available for this model, and I am not sure which to order if I need to.  Model 12v809 Type 1783 Code 01060858

We rarely replace those carbs. We just clean, install a new inlet needle and seat, and a float bowl gasket.  

If someone brings in just the carburetor we rebuilt for $25.00 plus parts.  It usually runs about $40.00 for the entire job.

Do you have an air compressor?

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology