Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/coil

Question
I have a craftsman riding mower with a kohler engine . Model 917271061 15.5hp. I have replaced 2 coils on this mower and it keeps burning them out after a couple hours running . engine will just shut off and will not crank . if i replace the coil it cranks up and runs fine for about 3 hours . what would cause it to keep burning up coils

Answer
I have read about defective key switches that allowed power (DC)to pass through the switch to the ignition module.  This can be very difficult to find and I have never seen it but it is possible.

You can check the switch, by ohming it with a multimeter.
You could check to see if there is any power getting to the coils...just connect/wire a multimeter in the shut-off circuit and see if there is any voltage in the circuit when you are mowing.
You could also just replace the switch and see if a new switch corrects the problem.  

I have not read or heard of anything else that could cause the problem other than excessive engine heat but this is pretty rare as well.  I should ask to make sure...does the engine run fine when it runs or does it seem like it runs hotter than it used to?

Let me know.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones