Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Cub Cadet 1215 PTO clutch stuck on shaft

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
I have a 1987 Cub Cadet model 1215 with a 12hp Briggs and Stratton. The engine has broken a rod and I'm trying to remove it to replace it, but the pto on bottom is stuck on the crankshaft. Can I use a puller to take it off or will it damage the pto? I have sprayed WD-40 on the top and bottom of pto to hopefully get in the crankshaft and loosen it, if it doesn't how can I safely remove it? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam

ANSWER: You could damage it with a puller.  Is there a threaded hole in the center of the PTO hub?  Hard to tell from the parts diagram if there is a threaded hole or not.

Did you search online for a service manual?

Eric

QUESTION: If you are talking about the center of the hub being where the crank comes through it, that doesn't have threads. Center of the crank does, but not the pto. I did get it off, it looks like the WD-40 did the trick. I used a thin blade screwdriver and tapped it in between the pto and belt pulley and it loosened and came off. I appreciate your help.

Answer
Thanks for the follow-up and the tip.  FYI, some of the clutches have threaded center hole and use just use a long bolt to pull/push the clutch off...but you have to be careful not to damage the threads in the crankshaft.

Are you replacing the whole engine, short block or re-building?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones