Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/earthquake mc43 tine wont turn

I tore it apart transmission looked fine but was wondering does the main shaft with a gear on it (one where tines go on it) does it had a indent groove on the gear? when I took the transmission off the engine I was able to turn it with the clutch bowl by spinning it but not by turning the tines. I started the engine and also looked at the clutch and it looked fine but I was thinking the parts aren't moving out like it should. Is their anything I should be looking for?

I haven't had that model in the shop but looking at the parts diagram the main shaft where the tines connect to has a flat edge...the should be to turn the tines.

I don't believe this is the part you are asking about.  I believe you are referring to the worm gear, or worm spud as the parts list states, that connects to the main gearbox input shaft.  Is this correct part you are asking about?  If so, the worm spud must be pressed onto the input shaft or the shaft has to have an indent so it turns the main gear on the tine shaft.  

Does the worm spud (gear) spin freely on the shaft or does it turn as you turn the main input shaft?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology