Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Kohler Engine

Question
Hi Eric, I am trying to find parts for a Troy Bilt tiller with a Kohler engine. The engine spec number is 281271J. The motor serial number is 10245775. The model number is K161t. I think this is a 1981 year model but not sure. It has a 7hp engine. The owner says it will idle and he has to throttle up very slowly to get the engine to rev up. The carburetor has an idle adjustment screw, an adjustment screw on top of the carburetor and one other adjustment screw. I am thinking of putting in a carburetor kit if I can find the correct one. If you can find a link to this carburetor kit, I will appreciate it.  Also, do you think this carburetor could be adjusted where it will run right as is?  If so, will you please give me instructions on the correct procedure?  I have put a needle and seat in 6hp Briggs and Stratton with good success, but I've never worked on a Kohler engine before.  The owner said that he had the engine rebuilt sometime in the past. Thank you in advance for volunteering your time and expertise.  Stephen

Answer
Carburetor reference:

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engines-parts/fuel-system/c

Kohler Service manual:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Does this look like your carb kit?

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engines-parts/fuel-system/r

Let me know.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones