Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Lawnmower Runs Only Briefly

I have a Lawn Boy self-propelled lawnmower (model #10522) which I always let run out of gas after its last use in the fall.

I recently had the blade sharpened, put on a new air filter, checked the spark plug, put in oil and newly purchased gas and tried running it.  It ran for several seconds, then stopped.  I primed it again, pulled the string; it ran for a few seconds, then stopped.  Over and over, the same thing.  

Do you have an idea what the problem might be and how to resolve it?

This is very common.  It is usually a dirty carburetor. You can try removing the carburetor float bowl nut on the bottom of the carburetor and making sure the holes in the float bowl nut are clean.  Removing the nut will also drain the gas out of the carburetor so be sure to a rag hand and/or drain the fuel.

Let me know if removing and cleaning the float bowl nut fixes the problem.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology