Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/troy bilt 18hp riding lawn mower

Having trouble with starter. Crank up mower and the starter stay running after cranking. Cut off the switch and it still was running. So i disconnect battery. At one time i could just connect battery with switch off and starter would try to engage. Bought new starter still same problem.   Thanks Edward

Either you have a bad starter solenoid or a bad key switch.

Check You Tube:

Is there a constant 12 volts going to the small solenoid wire (exciter wire)?
You should not have continuity on the high amp side (between the 2 big posts) when the key is in the run position.  Make sure you dis-connect the battery cable when test for continuity so you don't break your meter.

Test the key switch:

This URL shows additional switches.
Page 23 covers 6 pole switches.

Let me know if the URLs help.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology