Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/blowing white smoke Briggs Stratton

Question
QUESTION: Model 31C707-0154-E1 my 17.5 hp just started blowing white smoke lots of it. The engine was getting harder to turn over when starting and when it started there was black and white smoke for a few seconds.

ANSWER: Does the oil smell like gas and is the oil thin and runny?

When was the last time the oil was changed?

What weight oil are you using?

Eric

QUESTION: Eric, thanks for the quick answer and yes the oil does have a gas smell and appears to be runny, the oil was changed last fall before I put it up for the winter.

Answer
It is possible, and likely, gasoline leaked into the engine oil through the carburetor over the winter.  This is common as the inside parts of the carburetor can leak when they get old.

I would go ahead and change the oil.  Refill with new SAE-30 oil.

I would also remove the spark plug and spray some carburetor cleaner in the cylinder.  Leave the spark out and turn the engine to spin it to get help clean oil out of the cylinder.

How old is the engine?

Do you have an inline fuel shut-off valve in the fuel line?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones