Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/briggs ans straton starter

good morning. I replaced the starter motor on my Briggs and Straton (Craftsman garden tractor)and it grinds some before the engine turns over. It doesn't sound right. I noticed on the instruction sheet that they show a rectifier and grounding strap but the starter I removed didn't have either. Also the only wiring connection there is (was) on the starter is the cable from the battery via some sort of relay.No other negative wires or ground.Does this sound right or am I missing something?...Thanks Mike

The relay you see is the starter solenoid.  Most Briggs starters just have one positive battery cable connecting the solenoid.

Did you dis-connected and clean the battery cable ends and battery post terminals with a wirebrush?

Does the grinding sound like metal or plastic grinding?  Is the starter pinion gear the part you hear grinding as it contacts the flywheel ring gear?

What is the engine model, type and code number of the engine.

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology