Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman lawnmower

Question
Have this same problem that was answered and did try that link listed but it doesn't work now. Also, where is the fuel valve lever?  I have the same model listed below.

Thank you!

Expert: John C. Bridgers Sr. - 8/14/2007

Question
john,
model 917-378892
serial 041304m 002277
purchased 2004- the key start does not work. there is no response at all. what should I check or do I have to replace the whole thing?
thanks

Answer
Hello Robert:

Is the Battery Fully Charged/New? Check the Connections for Good Contact. Disconnect and Reconnect the Connections Several Times. This Tends to Clean the Mating Surfaces Enough to Make a Connection. Use a Volt Meter and Check the Voltage to the Starter when the Key is Held in the Start Position. There Should be 12.4VDC Minimum in the Battery and 11.0 - 11.4VDC Minimum When the Key is Held in the Start Position. You can View a Breakdown/IPL of this Engine at this Site Addy, http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/parts.asp and Select the Shop Online Parts Look Up. Then Select the Model Tab. Then Select the OEM and Enter the Model and Type Numbers (123K05-0344). Then Double Click on the Model in the Results Area. Now you can Select the Section of the Engine you Wish to View. Hope this Helps. I am Here if You Require More Assistance. Let me Know What Happens, Please. Thanks.

Good Luck,
John

Answer
There may be in interlock (safety) on the engine brake assembly.  Have you checked the wires connected to the engine, especially the wires near the engine shut-off cable?  There is a micro-switch on the engine shut-off assembly.

When you squeeze the engine shut-off lever, does the cable pull the engine shut-off fully open?  Sometimes the cable can stretch or wear where it does not fully move the engine shut-off arm.

Let me know if the engine shut-off cable and wiring are working.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones