Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Deck support arm - craftsman rider

QUESTION: Then lower end of the two arms which support the deck have multiple holes  which I think can accept the support rod.  Is the lowest holes the standard setting for height and could the two holes which are higher be used to raise  the deck higher for a higher cutting capability?  Craftsman  247.288811  or  MTD  13AN77SS099 Thank you.

ANSWER: Is the URL below the owner's manual for you mower?

You may have to click on the "manuals" tab.

Let me know.

QUESTION: Yes, that is the manual for the tractor.  The  manual does not mention using the other holes in the support arms  to raise the cutting height capability. MTD states that their mowers are generally made to cut      1 1/2  in.  to  3 1/2  in.

The two upper holes could be used to raise the deck height.  I would start in the middle hole and see how how the mower will cut.  You may have to raise the back of the deck as well so the cut is even.

How high are you trying to set the deck and why do you want to cut so high?  Most folks usually have the opposite problem...they can't cut low enough.

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology