Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/2004 GT5000 PTO diode and switch

Ken wrote at 2014-05-26 14:28:51
That would make sense, because the symptoms are all pointing to a fuse type situation - especially because everything started at the same time. The 30 amp fuse blew and when I went to activate the PTO for first time - it initially, very briefly, engaged the clutch  and then died. After that no power.  The diode was definitely fried - when I pulled back the shrink wrap - it disintegrated into powder.

I have my manual and a copy of the schematic.  I see the diode on there, just not sure if it's required or not.  I don't understand how I am able to just provide 12v direct to the clutch and it works, but not through the hot lead that contained the diode.  

Ken wrote at 2014-05-27 15:11:03
Eric, the  model number is 917.276022 on this unit. Not sure best way to reply to your questions since there is no reply button.

I also read someplace it could be the clutch itself which may be blowing the diode?  Don't really use the mower that much (1x/week) on 1 acre.  I also did confirm that when I installed another pto switch - it did indeed kill the pto switch which engages the blade (2 down now).  Not going to proceed until I have clearer direction :-)

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones